Sunday, September 12, 2010

Super Sweet 16

Have you ever caught an episode of MTV's Super Sweet 16?  I am a glutton and tend to tune in when its on...especially early on a Sunday morning.  Do you see the kids that are featured on the show?  Spoiled rotten (and I mean relatively disgusting rotten) by their parents, completely out of touch with reality, and getting everything and anything they have ever wanted without lifting a finger.  Today's episode was especially interesting... the girl had a Vegas style party with all the glitz, glam, and controversy of Vegas.  She had three different dresses--one for the entrance, one for the party, and another for when they had cake (yes, seriously, cake).  She refused to let any of her VIPs look better than her for fear of taking the spotlight off her.  Her birthday present was a $60,000 Mercedes SUV with Swarovski crystal accents.  Are you serious? 

I didn't catch the end of the show, but I can only imagine what is ahead of her... I remember my sweet 16--a game of life-sized twister, tacos, and a homemade pinata.  I felt lucky when my parents let me borrow one of their cars. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have had the money growing up for something like this, but I don't know that mooching off of Mom and Dad my entire life would call for a lot of character building opportunities. 

Its hard to imagine these reality TV "stars" working hard for a living, not being able to afford rent or a car payment, or even making it on their own in the real world.  I guess they don't know any better...so can I really blame them?

No comments:

Post a Comment